How to Become a Real Estate Agent in Kenya
Do you want to become a real estate agent in Kenya? Great! There are many things that you will have to do ahead of time. The following article will give you a guideline for choosing the right way.
Who is an estate agent?
An estate agent is an individual whose job is to rent, sell and manage property for the owners.
What’s the Work of a Real Estate Agent in Kenya?
One of the most appealing things about real estate work is that each day is different. Every day you meet new people with additional needs, from sellers to buyers, see new properties and do some paperwork.
Here are some duties of a real estate agent
- Planning to view open houses
- Schedule appointments to show potential buyers.
- Listing of open houses on their website and marketing on social media
- Performing real estate analysis on their market
- Keeping up with changing market trends
- Draft and prepare documents such as lease or sales offer on behalf of the client.
- Valuations and pricing of property under the client’s request
- Actively networking with other agents and local business
Guideline of How you can become a Real Estate Agent in Kenya
Here are the steps you need to follow to become a real estate agent in Kenya.
- You need to be of legal age, 18 years and above.
- Operational under the law- read the real estate act cap 523 under the laws governing real estate agents in Kenya. To operate as a real estate agent in Kenya, you need to understand various land laws and keep yourself updated as they as the laws change.
- You must be a Kenyan citizen.
- You must apply to Kenya’s Estates Agents Registration Board [EARB]. Like the lawyers need to be licensed to practice in Kenya, so are the estate agents.
- Education: you can take a degree or diploma in real estate, survey offered in various universities and colleges in the country.
- Experience: While you may not have done any real estate-related course, you will need two years of experience working in the real estate sector to qualify as a real estate agent and get your license from EARB.
To gain the said requirements, you will need to work under the guidance of a registered real estate agent who will recommend you after two years to the agent board.
- Apply and face the EARB board to evaluate your credentials.
You are armed with your two years’ experience, a recommendation from the licensed real estate agent, and your education, and you can now apply to face the board for evaluation.
How Much is Real Estate Licence in Kenya
You will need to pay Ksh 1000 for the EARB application and Ksh 15,000, a one-time payment once your evaluation is successful, to be admitted to the board. Every registered real estate agent’s unique identifier is from the licensing board.
Becoming a real estate agent is not just selling a house and claiming you are an agent. You must follow the proper procedures for becoming a real estate agent in Kenya and reap big rewards. You could be a registered real estate agent with dedication and hard work in two years.